A sustainability structure has been formed to ensure our commitment to sustainability is communicated and embraced. A steering committee and four working groups are tasked to evaluate, adapt, and implement initiatives that will develop the sustainability program. Education and outreach will also be a focus to encourage participation, creating an organization where sustainability is standard practice. Collectively, we will reduce our environmental footprint and secure a viable world for future generations.
Front row from left to right: Michael Baca, Val Padilla, Teresa Hildebrand, Ragini Gill, Andrei Roudenko.
Back row from left to right: Nurit Katz, Annie Hilliard, Buz Quarles, Paul Watkins, Richard Azar.
UCLA Health Sustainability Steering Committee Membership
- Chair: Paul Watkins, Chief Administrative Officer, UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica
- Co-Chair: Teresa Hildebrand, Sustainability Programs Manager
- Richard Azar, Executive Director of General Services
- Neil Martin, MD, Professor and Chairman, Neurosurgery
- Michael Baca, Director, Materials Management
- Linda Bedwell, Facilities/Plant Maintenance
- Erik Eggins, Safety Director
- Judi Goodfriend, Manager, Marketing
- John Kacperski, Director, IT Facilities, ISS
- Annie Hilliard, Principal Food Service Manager
- Nurit Katz, Chief Sustainability Officer, UCLA
- Suzanne Kiely, Project Manager, Planning, Design and Construction
- Lance Laterza, Computer Resource Manager, Facilities
- Patti Oliver, Director, Nutrition
- Eimee Miura, Director, Procurement and Strategic Sourcing
- Jennelyn Natividad, Ronald Reagan Operating Room
- Myo Nyunt, Manager, Santa Monica Materials Management/Receiving
- Val Padilla, Director, Facilities
- Holly Phelan, Nurse, Intensive Care Unit 6th Floor
- Tiffani Quach Mendinueto, Senior Editor, Marketing
- Andrei Roudenko, Administrative Director, Environmental Services
- Arturo Sanchez, Director, Environmental Services
- Guy Scimenes, Assistant Director, Nutrition
- Charles Tizano, Director, Santa Monica Materials Management/Receiving
- Shannon Tyra, Principal Administrative Analyst, Facilities
Wellness and Sustainable Food
Analyzes and improves the healthfulness of food offerings provided in the dining facilities, staying up-to-date on healthy food and nutrition trends while maintaining competitive food pricing and abiding by the sustainability goals of UCLA Health.
Recycling and Waste Management
Focuses on waste minimization and recycling initiatives for UCLA Health to achieve waste diversion goals set forth by the University of California Office of the President and helps reduce the medical centers' carbon footprint.
Works with the UCLA Facilities Management department to achieve the best possible energy and water utilization within the Health System by researching and implementing best practices, promoting awareness and education. Additionally, this group develops Health System energy and water consumption efficiency strategies consistent with campus considerations, establishes baseline data, develops and reports measurable progress. Energy consumption efficiency includes information technology opportunities, strategies and outreach.
Sustainability Program Marketing
Focuses on the promotional and informational material related to the sustainability efforts to keep patients, visitors, staff, and the community informed.